Monday, September 12, 2005

Catching up

I hope I am not creating redundancies by pasting theses emails in my post, but I just want to make everyone heard.
I am suddenly ashamed and embarrassed that I don’t know any of you. This is a problem that will surely be remedied at the forthcoming block party.
Unfortunately I have no knowledge of Mr. Harper. I also am sad to report to bobby and nanci, that it is unlikely that I have any more news than you do.
Radcliff’s post was great. It validated my intuition about our neighborhood. It looks as though we have been spared the water and muck, but will have some cleaning up to do. It looks like the teal house next to the Felicity Street RD building collapsed on top of the Felicity building. It also seems that the atrocity at 1731 Clio St. is still standing. Damn.
Billy, are the trees lying on your roof?
I have heard that some people have been allowed in to retrieve tools and pets. Sean and I will be driving from Sarasota to Austin at the end of September. We will try to get in then. I am sure someone will get in to report sooner.
I have also heard that the private schools are planning to reopen by the spring semester. This is only a rumor, but the source is reliable. This rumor is also congruent with Radcliff’s prediction of early October.
Southwestern Florida has been good to us. Sean even got to play with a local jazz band the other day (who thought he was a god, by virtue of being from new Orleans jazz heaven).
But….If I hear one more Floridian tell me that this type of thing would never happen in their perfect state, or nobody in their right mind would go back, I just might loose it. I am tired of politely telling people that I am not available to receive their stupid ideas, and tired of explaining to them that I neither need to understand their perspective, nor have them understand mine. It is perilous to enter a conversation here.
I can’t wait to be home.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
bobby and nancie from 1200 block carondelet, have you heard any more news? We are going crazy here!
Thanks
bobby
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
I just found your blog about Central City. I live with my husband in the 1800 block of Terpsichore. I have two important questions.

Our neighbor, "Mr. Lee" Harper, did not evacuate with us (nor anyone else) and I would like to know if he is OK. He lives at 1814 Terpsichore (white Creole cottage) next to the big two-story yellow house on the uptown side of the street and was very active in the community. He's got a medium build and just recently turned 76. Due to previous throat cancer he speaks with a distinctive, raspy voice.

I also just saw on your blog that there was a fire in the 1800 block of Terp. on Tuesday. I haven't heard of any fires in Central City up to this point. Is there anyone out there who can verify for us? We're in Austin at the moment and are anxious to get back home!

I look forward to hearing from you soon!

All the best,
Stephanie Carton

No comments: